Thursday 11 February 2021

Study Update: From then to now – My journey in BA Fashion Marketing & Journalism

I first started blogging at 17 when I was on a journey to discovering my career within fashion, I used Blogspot as the platform to show what I was working on at college. Originally, I never wanted to go to university. I wanted to work my way up in a job after I had missed out on the chance to attend London College of Fashion.

Now, I am 23 and as it turns out... I’m in my final year at University! You would never had guessed that was coming from what I mentioned 10 seconds ago!

Randomly, I rang up my current University inquiring about availability, after seeing on their website they had clearing places. They asked me a few questions and before I knew it, I had a place as a BA Fashion marketing and journalism student. That seems pretty simple, right? Well, the real work was about to begin…

My first year was not what I thought it would be, I expected lots of partying and going wild, but it was completely opposite. Partly that was due to living at home, although on campus it did not have the ‘student party’ vibe that I thought it would - so at 21, I thought I was done with my chances of partying *crying face*.

I also did not realise that I wouldn’t be choosing my own modules. The preset course content included:

-          Fashion History

-          Journalism History

-          Practical Journalism

-          The Practices of Marketing

In year 1 the grades do not count but I still wanted to do well (basically, I turned into the ultimate geek). I felt like I was studying very little fashion and it was extremely journalism focused. I did not enjoy Journalism history as I had no idea about it... But don't we all have that ONE class? 

First year taught me how to step out of my comfort zone and gain contacts, which is a requirement for journalism.

Second year was enjoyable, I gained friendships and confidence (although, I still hate class presentations) and got to choose my modules. Styling and journalism and fashion branding and journalism were my favourite as I got to learn how to be a Stylist, writing for fashion, street style photography and social media in fashion. All which will be so useful in the fashion industry. I experienced things like going to Crown and Magistrates Court to see trials allowing me to gain reporting skills, I got a trip to Paris courtesy of Drapers, invited to the GiambattistaXH&M event and competed in a fashion show!






Third year wasn’t what it’s cracked up to be. Due to the coronavirus it’s all been via zoom and at this point I’m totally ‘ZOOMED’ out! Although the perks are the amount of money saved on travel and I have come up with amazing story ideas.

I got to create my own magazine with a wonderful team, and I came up with the name, @_youngmagazine_ -  check out my articles on page 12 and 34 *squeals with excitement*.





I hope to graduate this year, throw my hat up in the air and get that Instagram pic I’ve been dreaming of without worrying about Covid, #InstagramGoals. This is only just the beginning of my journey into the world of fashion and I can’t wait to share it with you all!

Love Leanne x

No comments:

Post a Comment